This week at TC, our Daily Writing Thread (which is actually a weekly thread with daily updates) somehow digressed into a discussion of mac & cheese. Which got me wondering if I’d ever posted my recipe. I searched and it doesn’t look like it, so here it is:
3½ cups macaroni
¼ cup butter
3 tbsp flour
¼ tsp salt
1¾ cups skim milk
1 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
2½ cups old cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups for cheesy mix, ½ cup for topping)
1 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil macaroni for 7 minutes; drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, stir together butter, flour, salt, milk, 2 cups cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a large bowl. (It’ll be lumpy/imperfectly combined. Don’t worry about it. The next step will take care of it.)
- Add macaroni and stir with wooden spoon until butter and cheese are melted and cheesy mix is completely blended.
- Pour into 7×11 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe adapted from The Absolute Beginner’s Cookbook.